What is Skin’s Undertone?
The amount of pigmentation (a.k.a. melanin) determines the undertone of your skin. Your undertone does not changed based upon sun exposure, skin conditions, or seasonal changes.
There are three main types of undertones:
- Cool – pink/rosy undertones with blue-toned veins
- Warm – golden/yellow undertones with green-toned veins
- Neutral – your skin has no obvious yellow or pink undertones. It is difficult to determine if your veins are blue or green
Tips to Determine Your Undertone
1. Examine the veins on your wrist. This is the quickest method to determine your undertones. If your veins appear green, you have a warm undertone. If your veins appear blue/purple, you have a cool undertone. If you can’t determine the true colour of your veins, you may have a neutral undertone.
2. Test your jewellery. Do you look best in silver or gold jewellery? Silver jewellery looks best with cool skin tones. Gold jewellery matches best with warm skin tones. You can place a piece of gold or silver jewellery against your skin to determine which colour looks best.
3. Note the description of your foundation. Warm shades are often labelled as beige, gold, caramel. Common names for cool shades are porcelain, rose, cocoa. Common names for neutral shades ivory, praline, buff or nude.
4. Think about your reaction to sun exposure. Do you tan or burn? If you burn easily, you are likely to have a cool or neutral skin tone. If you tan, you likely have a warm skin tone.