Highlighter entered the beauty world with a bang this year. Sephora introduced highlighting as their Trending at Sephora theme for the upcoming spring and summer season. New highlighter products and trends include a variety of finishes, glows, and textures. I’d like to introduce you to the types of glow you can achieve, and top products to help you get there!
What is Your Glow?
Three categories of highlighter products are Shimmer, Dewy, and Holographc:
- SHIMMER: Shimmer products use pearlized pigments to create luminescence
- DEWY: Reflective pigments add gloss for a radiant and luminous finish
- HOLOGRAPHIC: This type of glow uses multicoloured pigments
Most products are available as a palette. Sephora also carries fluid highlight products that are liquid based.
1. Anastasia Beverly Hills x Nicole Guerriero Glow Kit: This limited-edition palette contains six metallic powder highlighters. The colours in this palette range from pink pearl to platinum with lavender shimmer. Each shade in this kit is versatile for use on the eyelid, cheekbone, and brow bone. This palette contains six pearly shades:
- Kitty Kat: Pink with a platinum shimmer
- Daydream: Coral with white-gold shimmer
- Forever Young: Pink pearl with silver shimmer
- Forever Lit: Platinum with lavender shimmer
- Glo Getter: Champagne with rose shimmer
- 143: Rose gold with bronze shimmer
2. Kat Von D Alchemist Holographic Palette: Each of the four shades in this palette contain Double Dimension Technology. This technology adds refractive pearls and a pirsmatic coating to each shade. The colours contained in this palette are as follows:
- Emerald: Green
- Saphyre: Blue
- Amethyst: Ultra-violet
- Opal: Pink
1. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed: This compact comes in the shade Prismatic Amethyst. BECCA’s pressed highlight is a creamy formula. It is the first highlight at Sephora to blend pigments with liquids.
2. Benefit Cosmetics Dandelion Twinkle: A nude-pink highlighter offers a pop of pink to cheekbones. This powder is a baked formula to give a sheer, lightweight texture. It lightly highlights and brightens.
1. Urban Decay Naked Skin Highlighting Fluid: This creamy fluid illuminates the skin to give it a dewy glow. A doe foot applicator provides precision. Urban Decay offers five different colours of this highlighter:
- Sin: Iridescent light pink
- Aura: Champagne-pearl
- Skywalk: Iridescent light blue
- Fireball: Pinky-peach
- Luminous: Pearl white with gold shift
2. Makeup Forever Star Lit Liquid: This multi-use liquid adds reflective highlight to the skin. The formula is sheer and water-based. This liquid highlight is buildable on the skin.
Have you tried this trend? If so, which highlighting product is your favourite?